Filament Games is seeking a Web and Graphic Designer to collaborate with our closely knit team of marketing professionals on the promotion of Filament Games projects and the Filament Games organization. As a Web and Graphic Designer, you will craft playful, compelling, and contemporary marketing materials across a broad range of digital and print media. Additionally, you will work ad hoc with our game and web developers to create and iterate on web & app design wireframes and layouts in support of client projects.
We’d like to see someone who:
Has demonstrated experience designing print materials, digital advertising materials, websites, and apps.
- Has developed strong communication skills through experience with client-facing creative services.
- Thrives in a highly collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment
Mandatory: Include a cover letter, a resume, and a portfolio (preferably web-based) showcasing your very best work. Applicants without portfolios and cover letters will be rejected immediately.
Again, applicants without portfolios and cover letters will be rejected immediately.
- Ensure that the Filament Games visual brand is upheld
Produce Filament Games marketing materials, both print and digital, including but not limited to: Business cards, flyers, game promotionals, grasshopper banners, conference booth backdrops, web graphics, social media graphics, video assets
- Create social media graphics and promotional materials
- Pitch design solutions to various clients
- Create responsive designs for websites and applications that adapt to a variety of screen sizes
- Create wireframes and mockups in an iterative fashion for websites, applications, and other interactive experiences
- Rapidly create multiple unique design solutions and interfaces and deliver to clients
- Interface with software developers to create custom solutions to tech design problems that work within the project’s technology limitations
- Research subject matter relating to client projects in order to understand learning objectives and project goals, and use this knowledge to inform UX patterns and visual design
- Assist with the production of RFPs, presentations, and other sales related materials
- Provide estimates to the production team
- Strong design literacy: layout, color mode & theory, visual hierarchy, and typography
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Basic knowledge of Wordpress CMS
- Basic knowledge of After Effects and Essential Graphics in order to create motion graphics templates for video production
- Ability to optimize graphics for the web
- Ability to capture the unique personality of a game in static promotional images or screenshots
- Ability to manage multiple project timelines and stay on track with shifting deadlines and deliverables
- Rapidly adapt to project direction changes
- Ability to create custom icons and graphics
- Storyboard, wireframe, and mockup UX interactions
- Knowledge of UX trends and patterns and self-driven to stay up-to-date on new touch-based interactions
- Knowledge of responsive design best practices
- Ability to explain design reasoning and process to clients
- Ability to quickly familiarize oneself with other brands and visually adapt style to create custom interactive experiences that are in line with client brand standards and aesthetic
- Maintain consistency in design styles for varying projects
- Ability to identify and correct design anomalies
- Ability to conduct paper prototype playtests of interactions if required
- Knowledge of branding and logo design best practices, ability to offer branding services or expand on existing client brands if required
- Ability to communicate with a broad range of disciplines including production, engineers, illustrators, management and executives
- Preferred 1-3 years’ of web and graphic design experience
- Preferred degree in Graphic Design/Communication Design/Visual Design or similar Bachelor's degree
- Imaginative problem solver
- Able to navigate rapidly changing business needs and work across highly various projects
- Passionate about design and marketing
- Driven to create exceptional designs and to constantly improve your craft
- Comfortable sharing, inspiring, brainstorming, and communicating ideas and concepts
- Empathy, not ego: committed to understanding and empathizing with users, clients and colleagues; always open to design input and iteration
- Enthusiasm for video games
- Fluency in video games marketing
- Experience working in a small business / startup environment
About Filament Games
Filament Games is a game production studio that creates digital learning games and interactives. Our mission is to create playful experiences that improve people's lives. We believe that games are a powerful way to engage and inspire learners, and we approach game design by translating learning objectives directly into meaningful gameplay mechanics and playful curriculum materials.
Benefits: Filament Games is an awesome place to work. Why?
Our team is a creative, interdisciplinary group of people who are making a difference. Through innovative educational games we’re working to modernize education and revolutionize learning!
We believe that the best work – and the best life – comes from a healthy balance between work and play, discipline, and fun. Our office culture reflects this. For example, we have flexible work hours, causal dress everyday, grill outs, sketch comedy classes, Show-n-Tells, and the occasional paintball battle.
Our office is located in the heart of downtown Madison, a lively city with a world-class university, burgeoning tech industry and beautiful state capitol. Downtown Madison is a vibrant, active urban center with fun weekly events like Concert on the Square and the Farmer’s Market, and offers access to a variety of eclectic restaurants, music venues, and the best of Madison’s nightlife.
Filament offers a competitive benefits package, including health/dental/vision care, short & long term disability, a Flexible Spending Account, 401k retirement plan, subsidized bus fare, discounted gym membership, profit sharing, and unlimited paid time off.
Applicants will be considered for positions on the basis of qualifications and ability to perform the job for which they are applying without regard to race, religion, creed, sex, age, residency, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical appearance. Minorities are encouraged to apply.